BAKED ZITI WITH ITALIAN SAUSAGE
- 1 16 ounce package of ziti pasta
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 small box of mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage cut in small bites
- 1 jar of marinara sauce, or your own sauce, totaling 2 cups**
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Italian Seasonings (To your taste)
- 1 large carton of Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 pound combined Mozzarella and Italian cheeses shredded (You may use any flavor combination that you enjoy)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a large pot, bring lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta and cook for 8 minutes to al dente, drain and rinse pasta.
In a medium skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil and cook sausage. Drain and set aside. If needed, add a little more olive oil to the pan, and sauté peppers, onion, garlic and mushrooms.
In a large bowl, mix one egg, ricotta cheese, mozzarella and Italian cheese, ziti, sausage, vegetables and 1 ½ cups marinara or spaghetti sauce. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Top with reserved sauce and parmesan cheese. ** To make this lighter, you may omit or cut back on the marinara sauce. I now make mine with just 1/2 cup marinara.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Allow dish to stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.