Watch Aimee show you how easy it is to make these delicious Black Bean Veggie Burgers!
AIMEE'S BLACK BEAN VEGGIE BURGERS
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh corn (can also use frozen. If using canned, make sure they are rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 of a large carrot, grated
- 2 Tablespoons of onion, grated (save the rest of the onion for another recipe)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon Aimee's Mexican Spice Blend (recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or for Gluten Free option, use grits or cornmeal)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- tomato slices
Heat a skillet over medium heat. In a bowl, mash the black beans until you have an almost thick paste. Add the remaining ingredients, mixing well. Form into four burgers. Add the olive oil and allow to heat for just a moment, then add the burgers. Cook until both sides are golden; about 8 to 10 minutes. Spread mashed avocado on buns, then top with burgers. Serve with tomato slices and lettuce, if desired, and blender salsa (optional).
AIMEE'S MEXICAN SPICE BLEND
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Mix all in an air-tight container and keep in a cool, dry place.
AIMEE'S BLENDER SALSA
- 4 to 5 tomatoes, stemmed (or you can use 1 can of diced tomatoes with chiles)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 large bunch of cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients int he blender, then blend! This recipe is easily doubled. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.