So, these take a bit more time than most of my recipes do ... but they are absolutely worth it when you see the outcome! Just because they take a little longer to make does not mean that this recipe is difficult! It is very easy, and perfect to make on the weekend! Having my sweet Michala in the kitchen with me, helping me make these cupcakes make them even sweeter!
AIMEE'S CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH TRUFFLE CUPCAKES
FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, softened (12 Tablespoons)
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed into measuring cup)
- 1 teaspoon (plus a little that pours over) good vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 1/4 cups flour (self rising or all purpose flour, as you are not baking it, use what you have)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Beat butter and brown sugar together until creamy, then add vanilla and almond extract. Slowly beat in the flour and sweetened condensed milk. Add chocolate chips and combine everything. Using a melon baller, scoop dough balls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Freeze dough for at least an hour (or until set).
FOR THE CUPCAKES
I just use a basic, old-fashioned 1-2-3-4 cake recipe. You could also just use a box mix and use milk/soymilk in place of water, add 1 cup Cabot vanilla bean yogurt, and add 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract to take away the “box” taste.
Line your muffin pan with cupcake liners. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into liners. Remove cookie dough balls from freezer and place in the center of cupcake batter. Bake at 350 for 16 to 17 minutes. Let cool.
COOKIE DOUGH BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 2 sticks of butter, softened (not melted)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- pinch of salt (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (or up to 3 1/2 cups - depending on how sweet you want/need it. I only used 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- splash of almond extract (optional)
- chocolate chips for tops
In a stand mixer (or using a hand held mixer) beat butter, brown sugar and pinch of salt together. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Next add heavy cream (you might find you need more for spreading consistency) and vanilla (and almond extract, if desired).
Spread on top of cupcakes, then sprinkle chocolate chips on top, as a garnish. Enjoy!