Do you have champagne taste but living on a beer budget? This recipe is one that will satisfy both, and you can even entertain with it!. Cava is a delicious alternative to champagne, and the bottle I used, Freixenet Cordon Negro Cava costs just $12.00. A great, inexpensive, tasty way to entertain. The chorizo and eggs stretch a long way, filling about 8 to 10 tacos, so a great way to feed your friends on a budget:
AIMEE'S CHORIZO EGG TACOS & CAVA COCKTAILS
Mexican chorizo is not cooked, where European style (Spanish) chorizo is usually already smoked and you just have to slice it prior to eating it. For this recipe, I used Mexican chorizo.
- 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons Cabot low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon complete seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- dash (about 1/2 teaspoon) hot sauce
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup cheese of your choice
- taco shells
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- queso fresco or Mexican cheese for topping
- More Cabot low-fat Greek yogurt for topping
- juice of 1 lime to squeeze over each taco
In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, cook chorizo. (Remove from casing first and then break chorizo apart as you cook it). You will need to drain it at least once. It should take about 7 minutes to cook the chorizo. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, seasoning, 2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt and hot sauce. (You do not need to add any salt and pepper to your eggs because of the chorizo). Slowly pour egg mixture into skillet with chorizo and scramble the eggs, add cheese. When the eggs are all cooked, spoon mixture into taco shells and top with cilantro, tomatoes, avocado and queso. Add a dollop of Greek yogurt to the top, then squeeze lime over each taco before serving. Enjoy!
AIMEE'S MIMOSA BRUNCH ALTERNATIVE
- Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut Cava ($12)
- Orange Juice (or Mango Juice)
- Pour orange or mango juice in flute and fill with Cava.