Inexpensive and healthy, this shark steak is extremely versatile! You can grill it, cook it on the stove top or bake it, and the outcome is always delicious!
AIMEE'S COCONUT SHARK STEAK WITH PEACH HABANERO SALSA
- 4 (6 to 8 ounces) fish (like mahi mahi, cobia or snapper; even shark steak)
- 1 (15 ounce) can of coconut milk
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup panko (can use plain bread crumbs or even corn flakes that you put through blender or food processor)
- 1 cup coarsely ground nuts (macadamia nuts, pecans, whatever)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- sea salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional)
Preheat oven to 425.
Soak the fish in a can of coconut milk for about an hour before cooking.
In a pie pan or bowl, combine melted butter, panko (or breadcrumbs), nuts and coconut. Remove fish from coconut milk and season fish on both sides with salt and pepper, and add cayenne if you would like the heat. Dredge fish into coconut mixture, patting the mixture onto the fish. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray the foil with cooking spray. Place fish on foil-lined sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is a golden brown.
Serve with Aimee's Peach Habanero Salsa:
- 3 peaches, pitted and diced (skin removed)
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, finely diced (careful not to touch your eyes!)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- juice of one lime
Mix together peaches, mango, red onion, cilantro, habanero, salt, pepper and lime.
**Tip for peeling peaches: Place peaches, 3 or 4 at a time, in boiling water. Leave in water for no more than one minute, then remove and place immediately in an ice water bath top stop cooking process. Remove peel, starting at the top and it should fall right off.