Coconut shrimp is one of my favorite dishes, and I love it, especially, at one particular restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale. However, the fried version is just so unhealthy. So in order to still enjoy coconut shrimp but not fried, I came up with a way to enjoy it, "quick and easy" style; not to mention, healthier.
AIMEE'S COCONUT SHRIMP
- 1 pound peeled, uncooked shrimp
- 1 can (13.5 fl. oz) coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean seasoning or Jerk seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (or olive oil may be used)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (additional)
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean seasoning or Jerk seasoning (additional)
Place coconut milk and shrimp in a bowl, then cover and refrigerate for at least half an hour. Heat a non-stick skillet to medium high heat, and add your coconut oil. Using a colander or a strainer, drain the coconut milk from the shrimp, then cook. This will take about 4-7 minutes; they will turn pink and curl up at the end. Add the additional seasonings, if desired.