Turns out - we can do a lot with those jars! : )
AIMEE'S SALAD IN A JAR
Salads-In-A-Jar has been around for a while. But you can make it own with your favorite ingredients and if you like a healthy, sweet twist on dressing, try my Orange Balsamic Dressing! These are great for picnics, taking your lunch to work/playdates, because it keeps so well.
- sliced mushrooms
- chopped red and orange/yellow bell pepper
- cherry tomatoes
- pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds
- sliced mango
- arugula or or spinach (any kind of greens you desire)
- Mason jar
In a large jar, place dressing at the bottom. Next, layer sliced mushrooms, chopped bell pepper, red onion, cherry tomatoes, pumpkin seeds or pumpkin seeds, sliced mango and arugula or spinach. Cover with lid and refrigerate. When ready to serve, shake jar then pour salad onto plate.
For a Mexican twist, add pico de gallo to the bottom, rinsed and drained black beans, rinsed and drained whole kernel corn, diced or cubed cooked chicken, sliced mango or pineapple, shredded cheese, and arugula or spinach. (Let the pico de gallo be the dressing to cut back on fat!)
AIMEE'S ORANGE BALSAMIC DRESSING
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest from one orange
- 4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- long "pour" of honey (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a jar, cover with lid; shake up and enjoy!