As fresh tomatoes and other vegetables are becoming available, whip up my take on the Spanish classic dish!
AIMEE'S EASY GAZPACHO
- 6 tomatoes (use your favorite type)
- 1 red bell peppers (or an orange bell pepper)
- 1 small cucumber (seeds removed)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion (I like sweet onion; you can use any onion you like)
- 1 habanero (my take - add a little bit of spice; helps with allergies and sinus problems)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup tomato juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup Spanish virgin olive oil (I used Matchbook Tinto Rey Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
General rule for Spanish gazpacho; three to one. That means, three tomatoes to one bell pepper, etc. Puree all ingredients in the blender with tomatoes on the bottom. If desired, add tomato juice to thin out your gazpacho. Add to a large bowl or pot; then chill. Serve with an extra drizzle of a good extra virgin olive oil, and if desired, chopped vegetables to go on top. *I keep mine in the blender, in the refrigerator, then blend one more time before serving.