I love lasagna, but it is more of a weekend meal, rather than a busy, week-night meal. Here's my take on a healthier, skillet lasagna. It's easy, delicious and you can make it any night of the week. Cook your meat and noodles ahead of time to speak up the recipe, even more.
AIMEE'S EASY LIGHTENED UP, EASY SKILLET LASAGNA
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound Italian sausage (optional)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 cup red wine (I used Frontera Carmenere. Even if you don't normally drink wine, I have found that it cuts through the acidity of the tomatoes. As I always say, don't use a wine you wouldn't drink! Use a yummy wine, like this Frontera Carmenere!)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1 package egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated/chopped Parmesan or Parmigiano-Reggianio
- Freshly torn basil, for topping
Cook the onion in a large skillet in olive oil, then add the garlic, ground turkey and Italian Sausage, if using, cooking all together. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste and 1/2 cup to 1 cup red wine; then add the Italian seasoning. Stir well. Add egg noodles and stir into the turkey and tomato mixture. Dollop the ricotta on top of the cooked mixture. Then add the mozzarella and parmesan. Cover and let cook for just a couple of minutes, to melt the cheese. Stir gently, then top with freshly torn basil leaves, then serve.
Learn more about Not the Perfect Cook at http://www.nottheperfectcook.com Please Like on Facebook.