AIMEE'S GUAVA PASTRIES (PASTELITOS DE GUAYABA)
One of my favorite things to eat in Miami, Pastelitos de Guayaba! These are so simple to make and are fabulous when they are fresh out of the oven:
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed and rolled out
- 8 long or 16 smaller slices of guava paste (available on the international aisle)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- sugar for sprinkling top
Preheat oven to 350.
Roll out each sheet of puff pastry and cut into four equal squares. In the center of each square, place the guava paste. In a separate bowl, mix together cream cheese and sugar. Dollop the cream cheese mixture (optional) on top of the guava paste. Fold the end of each square over filling and press to close with your fingers. Make three slits/openings down the center of each pastry with a knife. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Make an egg wash with beaten egg and water, then brush on top of pastry. Sprinkle tops with sugar and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Enjoy!