A viewer wrote to me and shared that her mother and grandmother made tortellini soup using canned vegetables, and canned, cream of condensed soups. She asked how I could make it healthier? Because I don't ever use cream of condensed anything; I came up with a way to make this delicious soup, even healthier!
AIMEE'S HEALTHIER TORTELLINI SOUP
- 1 large carrot, chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth plus 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup white wine (I used a Chardonnay)
- 3 cups fresh spinach (or kale)
- 1 bag of frozen cheese tortellini (19 ounce bag)
Saute carrot and onion in olive oil over medium heat, then add garlic. Next add 4 cups of chicken broth. In a small measuring cup, stir 2 Tablespoons cornstarch into 1 cup chicken broth. Add this mixture to the soup, then add the wine. Add fresh spinach (or kale) and simmer. Add the frozen tortellini and allow to cook just for about 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!