AIMEE'S KEY WEST BREAKFAST TACOS
Mexican chorizo is not cooked, where European style (Spanish) chorizo is usually already smoked and you just have to slice it prior to eating it. For this recipe, I used Mexican chorizo.
- 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- dash (about 1/2 teaspoon) hot sauce
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup cheese of your choice
- taco shells
- Blender salsa for topping
- 1 avocado, chopped
- queso fresco or Mexican cheese for topping
- More Greek yogurt for topping
- juice of 1 lime to squeeze over each taco
In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, cook chorizo. (Remove from casing first and then break chorizo apart as you cook it). You will need to drain it at least once. It should take about 7 minutes to cook the chorizo. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, seasoning, 2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt and hot sauce. (You do not need to add any salt and pepper to your eggs because of the chorizo). Slowly pour egg mixture into skillet with chorizo and scramble the eggs, add cheese. When the eggs are all cooked, spoon mixture into taco shells and top with blender salsa, avocado and queso. Add a dollop of Greek yogurt to the top, then squeeze lime over each taco before serving. Enjoy!
AIMEE'S EASY BLENDER SALSA
- 2 cans tomatoes with chilies
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 handful of cilantro
- salt and pepper (to taste; just a pinch)
- juice from 1 lime
Place all ingredients in a blender and mix well! Store any leftover salsa in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This is extra spicy, so if you want to tone down the heat, use 1 can of tomatoes with chilies and one can of plain, diced tomatoes.