The heat in the summer sometimes makes us wary of using mayonnaise. Not to mention, finding ways to omit mayonnaise can lighten up most anything!
AIMEE'S LIGHTENED UP "WORLD FAMOUS" COLE SLAW
When my Dad makes cole slaw, he calls it, 'world famous' because it's just that good. I've substituted the mayonnaise for the below ingredients, and it truly is light, refreshing and every bit delicious!
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt and
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded (or grated)
- 2 carrots, shredded (or grated)
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage, shredded (or grated)
In a large bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. (Add balsamic vinegar, if desired, in place of the lemon juice). Add the shredded cabbage, carrot and purple cabbage. Using tongs, mix this mixture into the dressing, making sure you toss it all well. (If desired, double your dressing ingredients). *You can shred the two cabbages and carrots ahead of time, and keep refrigerated in a zip-top bag; or you can even freeze this mixture, then thaw just before making.