I've taken an old classic and served it with a twist. Remember when your Mom made Patty Melts? Today, I'm making Mexican Patty Melts! Lighter and healthier … I think you're going to love them!
Watch Aimee show you how to make these!
AIMEE'S MEXICAN PATTY MELTS
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon Mexican Spice Blend (recipe below)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, caramelized
- 4 small flour (or corn, if preferred) tortillas, crisped
- 2 thin slices (per patty melt) of Monterey Jack cheese (cut from an 8 ounce block)
- blender salsa (recipe below)
- avocados, if desired
To caramelize the onions, just slice them, then sauté in olive oil for about 20 minutes. The longer the better. Set aside. Mix ground turkey and Mexican spice blend. Form ground turkey mixture into four patties. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add turkey patties. Cook on both sides (about 4 minutes per side) until cooked. Just before finishing, add slices of cheese and cover. (If your skillet does not have a lid, just cover with a large plate). Meanwhile, crisp tortillas on a very lightly sprayed skillet (cast iron works best) for about 20 seconds per side. (You just want to crisp the tortilla). To serve, place turkey patty on crisped tortilla, then top with caramelized onions and blender salsa. (Also add slices of avocado, if desired!)
AIMEE FORTNEY'S MEXICAN SPICE BLEND
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Mix all together in an air-tight container.
AIMEE FORTNEY'S BLENDER SALSA
- 4 to 5 tomatoes, stemmed (or you can use 1 can of diced tomatoes with chiles)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 large bunch of cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients int he blender, then blend! This recipe is easily doubled. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.