These can be as large or as small as you want them to be. They make great appetizers or you can make them a little larger for dinner! Easy, inexpensive and once again, healthier than eating out, here's a great dinner for your weeknight rotation!
AIMEE'S EASY MINI TURKEY EMPANADAS WITH CILANTRO-LIME YOGURT SAUCE
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 package (1 pound to 1.5 lbs) ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can tomatoes with chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
Preheat oven to 375. In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute bell pepper, onion and garlic in 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add ground turkey and cook until done. Season with cumin and cayenne. Add spinach and cook until spinach has wilted, then add cheese and stir just until cheese has melted. Drain any excess liquid. Roll out puff pastry on a floured surface. Using a large mason jar, cut circles out of pastry. Place 1 Tablespoon of turkey mixture onto one side of each circle. Brush pastry with egg wash then press to close. You can use a fork to make empanada edges. Bake for 18-23 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with cilantro lime yogurt sauce.
Aimee's Cilantro-Lime Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- salt and pepper to taste
In a blender, puree Greek yogurt, cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, salt and pepper.