AIMEE'S “OLD FASHIONED” SALMON CAKES WITH CILANTRO LIME CREAM SAUCE
(This can easily become salmon burgers, as the photo shows, above).
- 1 pound cooked salmon or 2 cans canned salmon, drained (but liquid reserved in separate bowl)
- ½ white onion, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs, seasoned to your taste (pepper, cayenne pepper, etc)
- dash of ground pepper
- dash of hot sauce and any other seasonings desired
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
**finely chopped garlic may also be added. Feel free to play around with your seasonings; this is just a basic recipe that I like to use. It is super easy and super quick.
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. (The reason you grate the onion, is the fine texture, along with the liquid from the onion adds a lot of flavor). Form into patties. If the texture is too dry, add the liquid from the canned salmon by a teaspoon at a time, until texture is desired wetness. If you do not want as fishy of a taste, use milk.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook salmon cakes for about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
AIMEE'S CILANTRO LIME CREAM SAUCE
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- ¾ cup to 1 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- juice of one large lime or 2 limes
- zest from one lime
- salt and pepper to taste
In a blender, (or even by hand) combine cilantro, Greek yogurt, lime juice and lime zest. Add salt and pepper, blend together. Serve with salmon cakes.