AIMEE'S SALSA VERDE
Some people boil their vegetables with water - which is fine. I don't like it, though, because to me, the water dilutes the flavor too much. Roasting the vegetables is best!
- 8 Tomatillos, husks removed and washed
- 4 green chiles - poblano, serrano pepper, habanero or jalapeño; whatever you like
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 large, or 2 small bunches of cilantro
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
Remember that tomatillos are sticky once you remove the husks, so wash them well before roasting in the oven. Roast tomatillos, chiles and garlic with a little olive oil, salt and pepper at 425 for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Add all (peel garlic first) to blender, add 1/2 of a white onion, chopped, cilantro and just a little bit of chicken broth and purée. (Once roasted, you can squeeze the garlic from the bottom up, to remove). Taste to see if you need to season with salt and pepper. Pour into your dish to use with chips, or use with enchiladas, burritos, serve with your grilled entree, etc.