STUFFED BELL PEPPERS
This is a great way to use up those summer peppers! It is also an expensive way to eat vegetables and have a healthy, summer meal!
- 1 (approximately 1 pound) package ground turkey
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 habanero pepper, diced for heat; or you can use a bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 package fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups cooked rice (either leftover or cook for this recipe)
- 4 or 5 large red (or any color you desire) bell peppers, tops* and insides (seeds and ribs) removed
- *you may want the tops for presentation
- salt and pepper to taste
- seasonings for ground turkey (I like a Complete Seasoning blend; you could use cayenne, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, etc.)
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used a Mexican blend)
Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet. Season the ground turkey with your favorite seasonings. ( I use a pinch of Complete Seasoning, cayenne, garlic powder, cumin, oregano). Drain and set aside. Saute the onion, diced peppers and garlic in olive oil, then add mushrooms and the entire package of spinach. Stir, adding a pinch of salt and pepper to season the spinach, and cook until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and drain any excess liquid, then stir in cooked rice and cooked ground turkey until combined. In a small casserole dish, place whole bell peppers in bottom, then fill peppers with turkey and rice mixture. Add about 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle cheese on top of mixture and bake at 400 for about 25 to 30 minutes.