AIMEE'S Sweet Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 butternut squash, peeled and seeds removed
- 4 large carrots, washed and peeled
- 2 medium to large sized sweet potatoes, peeled
- Olive oil
- kosher salt (about a teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper (ground may also be used)
- *1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 4 to 6 cups light and fat-free chicken broth**
- dash of cinnamon
Preheat oven to 425. Cut all vegetables in uniform, cubed sizes. Place vegetables on two large baking sheets and add about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to each pan, with salt, pepper and brown sugar if using. Using your hands, mix together to make sure vegetables are coated with olive oil. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Remove from oven and let cool. Add vegetables to food processor or blender, with a little bit of the broth to puree, to your desired texture. (If you are using a blender, you will likely have to do this in batches). In a large pot or saucepan, heat the soup mixture, adding seasoning to your taste. A dash of cinnamon will go a long way, but it compliments the vegetables nicely.
**You can play around with the liquid and substitute water or even apple juice to sweeten the soup! If you would like some texture, add some chopped, roasted walnuts, pecans or even pumpkin seeds.