Healthy dinner on a budget? And on a weeknight? Vegetable soup CAN be done on a hectic weeknight, and you don't have to add condensed soup, anything! The tomato juice is an old trick that both thickens and flavors the soup!
AIMEE'S QUICK & EASY, HEALTHY VEGETABLE SOUP
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, cut into small bites (cubed)
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with chilies
- 2 to 3 cups tomato juice (I used Publix brand tomato juice)
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 1 bag frozen butter beans
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
In a large soup pot, cook potatoes and carrots in 2 cups chicken broth for about 10-15 minutes, getting them tender. Next add the canned tomatoes with chilies, remaining chicken broth, tomato juice and seasonings. Cook covered over medium heat for about 25-30 minutes. Add frozen vegetables the last 15 minutes, stirring well. Enjoy!